10 LESSONS LEARNT FROM THE “IGNITE THE CHAMPION WITHIN” CONFERENCE
I just had the most amazing 2 days at the Ignite the Champion Within conference held at the Wheatbaker Hotel, in our very own Lagos State, Nigeria, organized by Udo Okonjo, founder of Ignite- Purpose. Power Possibilities. It was absolutely amazing, beautifully organized, the energy was off the charts and the facilitators were knowledgable people with practical experience (so these were not people telling you about theories but teaching from experiences and sharing strategies that work!). On the faculty were- Udo Okonjo- CEO Fine & Country West Africa, Bob Etherington- accomplished author and speaker and coach to executives of several Oil Conglomerates and Fortune 500 companies around the world. Kwavi Abeyegbe, a lifestyle coach and Tokunboh Osunbayo a money management expert. I loved the fact that various facets of our lives were covered, so that you came into one place and left with solutions on every facet that’s important on this journey to being “outstanding”.
I really enjoyed being there and as usual, I thought of you. I thought you could benefit greatly from hearing some of the things I heard and hopefully, if you apply them, like I am committed to, you we see a massive difference in your life. Here are some of my key learnings and pictures from Ignite the Champion Within:
1. If it has to be, it is up to me! This was one major take out for me! The need to take full responsibility for all your outcomes, which empowers you- because if you “own” the outcomes and realise that you create them by what you do or not do, you realise that you can change your results by what you put in. What do you need to adjust, do more of, do less of, to arrive at the destination that you want? We also learnt about being “YOUNIQUE”– success is personal. You are a designer original, allow yourself be that, excel at your own strengths, know where you are in your journey of life, know who and whose you are, and then start from there to being your very best you!
2. Championship is an individual game. It is a journey that you define for yourself and is not a destination. We had to come up with 3 qualities that we would like our personal brands (yes, you as a person) to be associated with. Mine are: EXCELLENCE, INTEGRITY & BEING EXCEPTIONAL! What are yours? Share them with me in the comments.
3.The most important trait that determines whether you will be successful or not, is your attitude! Its your attitude not your aptitude that will determine your altitude! Enough said!
4. YOU CAN EITHER MAKE PROGRESS OR YOU CAN MAKE EXCUSES! The choice is entirely up to you!
5. I especially loved this ignited quote (that’s what I’ll be calling quotes by speakers at the event, which I thought were profound) by Bob Etherington- “you miss every single shot at goal that you do not take.” That is so true. So today, get up and do it. Do it and keep it at it. There is no failure, only feedback. Thomas Edison after his 1000th attempt at making a light bulb, said “I have learnt a thousand ways how not to make a light bulb.” Do you see the attitude of champions, you try regardless of failure because you keep the goal in sight!
6. Having said that, you keep watching for areas where you need to change- is your strategy not working? Maybe you need to adjust it a little. Thomas Edison said he had learned a thousand ways how not to do it… It means he was not repeating the same thing over and over again for the sake of repetition, but he was fine-tuning, improving, getting better.
Ignited quote– “most of the time, you don’t win, enough of the time, you do, and that makes up for all the losses”
7. To create a successful brand, product or service, think “what can I offer to the world that leaves them wanting more?”
8. It takes 10 years to an overnight success! Be consistent and diligent! Never, never, never, never, never, never give up!
9. On the sections on vitality, we did a lot of dancing- remember, movement affects physiology, which in turn affects your psychology. So move everyday!
10. Condition until consistent. Take steps daily, that’ll take you to the destination you seek.
Enjoy the photos:
Okay, those were just 10 of the lessons learnt. There were so many. I felt so empowered. Was turbo-charged. You know what though, knowledge is not power, applied knowledge is power!What will I do with what I have learnt? What will you do with what you have just read? Will you ACT? Will you be ignited? Will you become the most outstanding version of you? Watch out for the 2nd part of this series, and don’t forget to be awesome this week!